- NEW PRODUCTS
- JEWELLERY DISPLAYED
- ABOUT US
- CARE OF DESIGNER JEWELLERY
- LEISURE CLASSES: Explore your creative side
- BRING YOUR PAST INTO THE PRESENT; Remodel Treasured Pieces
- BESPOKE AND WEDDING JEWELLERY
- GLASGOW 2014 A YEAR TO REMEMBER
Helen Swan Contemporary Glasgow Jewellery Designer from Scotland, specialising in bespoke designer jewellery in silver, silver with gold and silver with anodised aluminium.
I’m Helen Swan, a Scottish jewellery designer with 30 years’ experience in jewellery and silversmithing. From my studio in Glasgow’s West End I work with a variety of precious and semi-precious materials like gold, silver and diamonds as well as less conventional materials including brass, aluminium and rubber. My jewellery is mostly contemporary and my designs evolve as I’m influenced by new ideas, trends and fashions.
I’m also inspired by you.
When I make a piece of jewellery I always have my customer in mind. What would you find exciting to wear and make you stand out from the crowd?
I often use techniques that differ from traditional jewellery making methods to ensure your pieces have that ‘little something extra’ you require. I’m inspired by the ergonomics of jewellery and how a piece designed with the body in mind can create quite stunning results.
How unusually crafted jewellery sits to perfection on your wrist or neck is one of my specialities. I love to create unique mechanisms for clasps that whilst unconventional, integrate with the overall design to create statement pieces which are both eye catching and wearable.
Helen Swan’s imaginative and elegant jewellery is a world away from anything you’ll find on the high street. Her designer bespoke jewellery puts you at the heart of the design. Call to discuss designs and price tiers.
I have always enjoyed working with the ergonomics of a piece of jewellery. I design with the body in mind, trying to engineer new ways of attaching the jewellery and thus creating mechanisms that are unconventional but integrate with the overall design.
By using a variety of materials, precious and non-precious, combinations of gold and silver and both shiny and matt surfaces, the variations in structure, tone and texture allow me to be innovative and to create statement pieces which are both eye catching and wearable. Using similar materials and textures throughout enables several pieces of jewellery to be worn in combination allowing the wearer to create their own individual style.
More recently I have been making bespoke pieces of jewellery from sentimental pieces that have been inherited by my clients. Thus retaining the emotion behind the piece. ( see blog for comments with regard to this ).
If you would like more information about this contact me on Helen Swan Designer Contemporary Jeweller from Glasgow, Scotland
- 2014 Christmas Exhibition (11/4/2014)
- 3 IMPORTANT and INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT the GARNET in JANUARY (1/15/2016)
- 3 IMPORTANT FACTS ABOUT APRILS BIRTHSTONE THE DIAMOND (4/6/2015)
- 3 IMPORTANT FACTS ABOUT CHOOSING AN ENGAGEMENT RING (1/13/2015)
- 3 IMPORTANT FACTS ABOUT CONTEMPORARY PEWTER KILT PINS (8/31/2014)
- 3 IMPORTANT FACTS ABOUT INTERCHANGEABLE JEWELLERY (8/27/2014)
- 3 Important Facts About January’s Birthstone, The Garnet (1/5/2015)
- 3 IMPORTANT FACTS ABOUT OCTOBERS BIRTHSTONE THE OPAL (10/5/2015)
- 3 IMPORTANT FACTS ABOUT SELLING YOUR OLD DIAMOND OR WEDDING RINGS (3/23/2015)
- 3 IMPORTANT FACTS ABOUT SEPTEMBERS BIRTHSTONE THE SAPPHIRE (8/31/2015)
- 3 IMPORTANT FACTS ABOUT THE BIRTHSTONE FOR JULY, THE RUBY (7/2/2015)
- 3 IMPORTANT FACTS ABOUT YOUR DESIGNER NECKLACE (6/9/2014)
- 3 INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT AQUAMARINES FOR MARCH BIRTHDAYS (3/2/2015)
- 3 INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT FATHER’S DAY (6/8/2015)
- 3 INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT FEBRUARY’S BIRTHSTONE THE AMETHYST (2/16/2015)
- 3 INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT GOLD THAT YOU NEED TO KNOW (1/26/2015)
- 3 INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT MOTHER’S DAY (3/9/2015)
- 3 Interesting Facts About November’s Birthstone The Topaz (11/22/2015)
- 3 INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT PALLADIUM JEWELLERY (5/12/2015)
- 3 INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT THE BIRTHSTONE FOR AUGUST THE PERIDOT (8/3/2015)
- 3 INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT THE BIRTHSTONE FOR MAY, THE EMERALD (5/5/2015)
- 3 INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT THE PEARL THE BIRTHSTONE FOR JUNE (6/1/2015)
- 3 Interesting Facts about the Traditional Wedding Ring (1/19/2015)
- 3 INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT VALENTINES DAY (2/4/2015)
- 9 IMPORTANT FACTS YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT PEARL JEWELLERY (6/10/2014)
- A MERRY XMAS from Helen Swan Designer Jewellery (12/6/2015)
- A Competition with a Great Prize (7/20/2014)
- Anodised Aluminium Bangle (7/21/2013)
- Big Changes, Ive done it at last! (6/25/2013)
- BLUE, BLUE ELECTRIC BLUE (3/25/2013)
- Brand New at Helen Swan Designer Jewellery (3/21/2014)
- Charity Event: Orkidstudio (9/23/2013)
- Colour Blocking (1/26/2013)
- Daily Record Press Release Sept 2013 (9/7/2013)
- December 2009 (12/27/2009)
- Designer Engagement Ring (4/20/2013)
- Designer Silver and Gold bangle donated to The Carers Trust Charity Auction (11/18/2013)
- DIAMOND FACTS dispel some old myths and create some new (5/1/2014)
- DID YOU KNOW THAT YOU COULD REDESIGN and use your unwanted gold jewellery (5/1/2014)
- Dragonfly Cufflinks (4/19/2013)
- Emerald Ball Charity Event (3/20/2014)
- FANTASTIC PRIZE TO BE WON…. Designer Kilt Pin or a Contemporary Brooch (7/26/2014)
- Father’s Day. Designer Necklace, why don’t you! (6/9/2014)
- Fathers Day (6/5/2013)
- File and Polish (2/11/2013)
- GETTING ENGAGED? Fun facts you might just want to know (5/1/2014)
- Getting ready for Summer (4/25/2014)
- Glasgow 2014 A Year to Remember by Helen Swan Designer Jewellery (7/16/2014)
- GOLDEN GLOBES 2016 (2/4/2016)
- Greatful Customers (3/4/2013)
- Helen Swan at Lansdowne Bar and Grille (3/6/2013)
- Helen Swan Designer Jewellery attended an event a Stow College. Sept 2013 (9/13/2013)
- Helen Swan Designer Jewellery Exhibition 2014 (11/13/2014)
- Helen Swan Designer Jewellery Exhibition gets under way. (11/15/2014)
- Hidden Gem. Oct 2013 (10/7/2013)
- Hidden Gems Jewellery Exhibition (11/19/2013)
- Innovator Award Finalist (4/14/2017)
- Innovator Business Award Finalist (5/24/2017)
- Insight Magazine (8/29/2012)
- Inter-changeable Brooch and Brass Bangle (10/4/2012)
- January 2013 (1/14/2013)
- Jewellery Leisure Classes (4/13/2014)
- Kilt Pins (1/18/2013)
- Kiss of Life (1/31/2013)
- Lastest update: Studio Upgrade (7/12/2013)
- Leisure Class 2: Texture (2/5/2014)
- Leisure Classes (1/31/2014)
- Local School Fair 2009 (12/29/2009)
- Loving Mum Sept 2013 (9/8/2013)
- MAKE YOUR OWN WEDDING RINGS or have one designed especially for you (5/1/2014)
- Mellow Mango the colour of Summer 2016 (6/19/2016)
- METAL FACTS: Facts about Metal (5/1/2014)
- Metal Patination Techniques (3/11/2014)
- More progress on my studio refurbish (7/8/2013)
- Mother Day (2/26/2013)
- MOTHER DAY (3/10/2013)
- Mothers Day (3/3/2013)
- New Arrival Cast ring (4/15/2013)
- New Arrivals at Kilmalcolm (10/5/2012)
- New Studio Revamp. Day 1 (7/2/2013)
- New Venture (3/15/2013)
- New Venue for Scottish Jewellery Designer Helen Swan (11/11/2013)
- New Workshop August 2013 (8/6/2013)
- PMC Precious Metal Clay workshop (9/23/2015)
- Prince Georges Christening (10/23/2013)
- Progress is made. Day 2. Studio Revamp (7/4/2013)
- Scotland on Sunday (3/3/2013)
- Seasons Greetings and New Year Celebrations for 2014 (12/27/2013)
- SENTIMENTAL JEWELLERY (1/7/2016)
- Studio upgrade in Glasgow’s westend (10/8/2013)
- Studio Workshop (8/27/2013)
- Summer colours 2016. NEUTRALS (7/19/2016)
- SWIB: Meet a member (2/7/2013)
- The Way Forward for Helen Swan Designer Jewellery (6/26/2013)
- THINKING OF BUYING A DIAMOND? (5/1/2014)
- Thinking of getting married soon? (5/1/2013)
- THREE IMPORTANT FACTS ON HOW TO APPEAR SLIMMER USING JEWELLERY (5/5/2014)
- Valentine Social (2/12/2013)
- Valentines Day (1/22/2013)
- Valentines Day (2/4/2013)
- Valentines Day – Just be glad of present day celebrations!! (1/21/2014)
- Valentines Day. Do you know your diamonds? (1/23/2014)
- WEDDING AND ENGAGEMENT RING SET (7/3/2013)
- What Jewellers don’t tell you (1/6/2014)
- Winter Season (12/14/2013)
- Xmas Show (11/13/2012)
- Youtube video: Dual Jewel. Designer Jewellery (5/13/2013)
Care of designer jewellery by Scottish Contemporary Jewellery Designer Helen Swan
The materials used in my range of designer jewellery include Gold, Sterling Silver, Stainless Steel Cable, Pearls, Precious, Semi-Precious Stones and anodised aluminium
When an item of designer jewellery is not Hallmarked the metal will be known as "white", "yellow"or "mixed materials".
Any sterling silver or "white metal" that is detailed as "satin" should not be cleaned with silver polish or silver polishing cloth as this will make it shiny
If there are no stones in the piece of designer jewellery the item should be submerged in good brand "silver dip"like, Goddards silver dip, then washed in soapy water. Alternatively if the metal becomes discoloured, and if there are other non metallic materials wash the item in warm soapy water, dry and then gently rub over the satin area with a clean pencil rubber until the satin finish is restored.
High Polished surfaces can be cleaned by rubbing with a silver polishing cloth, or with silver polish and a soft cloth, or by submerging in silver dip. Use silver dip this only if there are no non precious metal materials present do not use with pearls, stones or anodised aluminium
Pearls and Stones.
Pearls and some stones should not be placed in an ultrasonic cleaner, silver dip, detergents, bleaching agents or powdered cleaners. Also do not use abrasive materials, scouring pads or stiff brushes to clean them.
Pearls are reletavely soft and can be damaged through scratching and exposure to heat and chemicals.When putting on pearls or other stones make sure you have already applied hairspray of perfume.Remove pearls and stones before showering or swimming.
Do not keep your pearls in a sealed plastic bag - pearls must breath. Prolonged exposure to sunshine may dry or discolour pearls.
Anodised Aluminium and Non Metallic materials
These materials should be cleaned with warm soapy water and dried with a soft cloth.
Do not leave any items soaking in liquid or water for any length of time.
If you are uncertain how to clean your piece of jewellery, then please feel free to contact me and I shall be happy to advise.
Helen Swan Contemporary Glasgow Jewellery Designer, specialising in bespoke designer jewellery in silver, silver with gold and silver with anodised aluminium
Would you like to explore your creative side and unlock your hidden talents?
The Essential Techniques of Handmade Jewellery is a series of courses uniquely tailored to introduce you to the world of jewellery making.
Create your own wedding day keepsakes, your spouse’s/partner’s wedding ring or enjoy a fun way to catch up with friends.
The courses are taught by Helen Swan at her state of the art, purpose built studio in Glasgow’s West End. All tools and equipment will be supplied.
Jewellery Leisure Classes
Take a look and contact Helen to find out more about these exclusive courses Helen will be happy to discuss which package is right for you. Tools and equipment are provided for each course. Non-precious materials and a small amount of silver will be provided but some consumables, like sawblades, may incur a small fee. Silver for larger outcomes will not be provided but guidance in buying and sourcing will be given.
Please email Helen@hswanjewellery.co.uk or phone 0141 959 5586 to find out more
BRING YOUR PAST INTO THE PRESENT; Remodel Treasured Pieces
The Circle of Life
Do you have jewellery that’s been passed down to you by a loved one? I can make bespoke jewellery from sentimental pieces that you have inherited. You retain the emotion behind the piece while giving a much loved brooch, bracelet or necklace a new lease of life.
We all have treasured pieces of jewellery we no longer wear. Perhaps a ring that was a 21st birthday present?
We won’t part with them but styles and tastes change. Reacquaint yourself with the joy of these adored piece by giving them a contemporary twist.
You will never part with these keepsakes but you can’t enjoy them either if they are too outdated to wear. What better way to show your appreciation for an heirloom or a cherished gift than making a present of the past?
Call Helen to arrange a consultation.
Christenings, Special Birthdays, Graduation Day, Weddings and Anniversaries – the Landmarks of Life are to be cherished. The memory can brighten up a dull day and transform a frown into a smile. What better way to be reminded than to wear the memory? A bespoke piece of jewellery to celebrate a special occasion will speak a thousand words.
Have a look at some of these exclusive bespoke pieces for inspiration. Or contact Helen if you would like to discuss your own design. firstname.lastname@example.org
A selection of Architectural views from Glasgow which have inspired a new collection of Contemporary Jewellery From Helen Swan Designer Jewellery, Glasgow, Scotland